Thursday, August 09, 2007

kninspiration (or: new addiction)

So, I didn't know much about Stephanie Pearl-McPhee before Tuesday but she is one funny/cool lady! It was a very enjoyable/ engaging / enlightening / all the good "e" words really...

I think I understand why so many knitters are also bloggers. Its because we are "super-responders"! SPM learned me about the term in her talk - it was in the context of fundraising but I think maybe knitters are also just super-respondery in general... so we like to show and tell and get and give comments. Cyberspace also enlarges the group you have access to. Really, I wouldn't know how to knit without the internet to begin with but it is also the way I found out about KOL... and without KOL, I'd be knittin' alone.

So I just got my first pair of "real" socks (as in, made with actual sock-weight yarn) under way. I cobbled together information from Wendy Johnson's toe-up sock pattern, the Knitty Universal Toe-Up sock pattern, and some site (I forget) that showed how to do a provisional cast-on. I've learned a lot from starting this project and I have to say, I think knitting socks this way is likely to become a new addiction!! Its faster than I thought, the architecture is magical/fascinating, and I know I'll definately wear them!

Here's the "Crazy" (that's what its called) Opal stuff on my kitchen scale. I made two lovely center pull balls... because pre-fondling the yarn is part of the fun for me.


Yep! That's my foot! PLUS my first provisinal cast on, first short rows, for sock yarn, first toe-up EVA!! booyaa!


I like to make things that come in twos at the same time - for fear I'll never make the second. So here's my two toes. I bet your wondering what that space-debris-looking-thing in the background is! I'm just going to leave you guessing.

So, I officially feel like a real part of this "creepy sub-culture" (SPM 2007) now that I have posted a picture of my foot!

Frankly, I'm happy we actually got the full word "culture" in there... some may have stopped at "cult".

9 comments:

Steph said...

LOOK AT YOU!!!!! TOE UP SOCKS! You've just gone right over the edge. And you're just zipping right along too!

Cult-CHA! We've got cult-CHA, dahlingk!

(Erm - I think I know what the silver thing is. Should I be fortifying my house?)

Megan said...

It's only fair that you finally showed your foot since you showed both of your husband's feet in the last post.

Awesome socks!

Jess said...

Love the socks! I have yet to try toe-up sock- maybe the next pair.

Alison said...

Yay! Welcome to the creepy subculture! And thanks for the awesome t-shirt design. You rock!

Anonymous said...

The other thing, is that we can totally relate to the feverish sense of pride and accomplishment over a short row toe.

My first toe up? I paraded it around the house and kept making Mr Moe inspect it. Just wait till you get to the heel. I'll alert the media.

rho said...

hahaha! you guys all RAWK!

Yeah - I'm pretty proud of those toes! BUT, they are now officially on hold until I get that turtleneck shrug done! Its been bringing me down because its kind of ... well... boring.

You have all been making me feel like a rock-star with the credit and kudos on the shirt. It wouldn't have happened without the initial spark and the help though -so I shouldn't get all the cred. I'm glad everyone seems to like it though! Thanks for all the shout-outs.

Now, I will retreat back into shy-dom.

lulubelle said...

Oooh, first socks are powerful things. They tend to make you dance around and watch your feet as you walk. A number of times I've been seated at gatherings and totally lost the thread of coversation because I get busy admiring how delightful my feet look in my socks :)
And if you read SPM's work, she does talk about how very clever a knitter feels when they've turned a heel. All true.

rho said...

I can hardly wait for the heels!
Oh Glee!
The desire for the socks has really made me speed up on my other project... still, it'll probably be at least a week before I can get back to the l'il ones. sigh.

lulubelle said...

When I managed to turn my first heel I actually woke my husband out of a deep sleep to show him. It was like, 2am. Poor guy. He had no idea what was going on and could not understand why I got mad at him for lack of enthusiastic response.
He has since learned to at least fake it well, lol!