Monday, October 01, 2007

Tails of 58 Years


When Andy's Grandpa and and Grandma got married (they were both named "Anne" coincedently ( - actually "Ane" and "Anje" )) in 1949, they invested in a set of woolen "tails" and pants. If you've heard of the "sisterhood of the travelling pants" books, this is kind of the male equivalent... the "brotherhood of the travelling tails" perhaps.

The jacket has probably been back and forth across the ocean more times than I have and has been worn for various functions - mainly weddings - for 58 years now. It seems to fit almost everyone who wears it... well... anyone between 5'11 to 6'4" at least. It's last wedding use was for our wedding 4 years ago (see below) and I think it is about time for someone in the family to use it again (hint hint Ruth or Hannah or Emily... just teasing!!).

I was dusting off these photos for the upcoming 50th anniversary of one of the wearer's (the brother of the man in the upper photo) and its such a neat story, I thought I should share...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so very cool. (wow, that's a great picture of you two)

The Ninja Knitter said...

Hey Rho,

Awesome photos - and a lovely tradition!

Re: the magic loop stuff - I don't generally knit two socks on the same needle for two reasons. 1) I'm too cheap to buy 2 balls of the same yarn - I prefer to get just one honking ball at a time. 2) I'm too lazy to wind two balls of yarn out of one big honking one. :)

I would imagine that if you wanted to knit two at a time, then yes, you would need a needle longer than 32 inches. But I find the 32 to be slightly unwieldy, so I can only imagine what anything longer would do to my fragile mental state. Hope this helps!

jkleclerc said...

That's pretty special, and you look lovely.

Steph said...

What a great family tradition!
And wow - you two made a stunning bride and groom pair.